You will face two kinds of tax: (1) turnover tax and (2) income tax.

Turnover tax
If you independently run a company or job, you should pay taxes over your revenue. Turnover tax is also known as the VAT-declaration. You declare VAT online, using your digital portal of the Belastingdienst (Dutch Tax Authority). Is het your first VAT-declaration, then you might need to do this via paper. If you registered as a freelancer, you will be notified via post about which quarter you need to do turnover tax. Presumably you need to do this every quarter. You can request at the Belastingdienst to do this monthly or yearly

How you have to pay, depends on the amount of hours you’ve worked and how much you’ve earned per hour. You are also required to declare your VAT when you have earned €0,-. On your invoices you can exactly see how much VAT you’ve received.

The moments when you need to declare your turnover tax, if you declare it every quarter:

  • Your declaration over quarter 1 (January, February, March) should be done before April 30th.
  • Your declaration over quarter 2 (April, May, June) should be done before July 31st.
  • Your declaration over quarter 3 (July, August, September) should be done before October 31st.
  • Your declaration over quarter 4 (October, November, December) should be done before January 31st.

Income tax
If you live in the Netherlands or have income from the Netherlands, you should pay taxes over that income. You pay taxes on income, financial interests in a company and on your savings and investments. The Belastingdienst (Dutch Tax Authority) collects the income tax. The declaration of your income tax is done every year in April.

Heeft u het antwoord gevonden?