This article is presented to you by:

Did you work one shift via the Temper platform and enjoyed it? Then, you have probably applied for your VAT-ID (btw-ID). Once you have received your VAT-ID and added it to your profile, you are obliged to submit the VAT return (btw-aangifte), even if you have no income for a month. If you applied for your VAT-ID but are still waiting for the tax authorities, you may work a second and third shift without it.

Especially if you are new to VAT, you could probably use some help. We understand that all too well at The TaxSavers. In this article, we help you on your way. Do you want help with your VAT return? No problem, feel free to contact us, we offer a special 20% discount for FreeFlexers. Please, contact us for more information.

How do I know how much VAT I have to pay?

When you work as a FreeFlexer, you have to pay VAT over the products and services you sell (in this case, your hourly rate). Your invoices state exactly how much VAT you have received. You then deduct the input tax from the VAT to be paid. The amount that remains is the amount that you have to pay. You can find your invoices on the Temper platform at your shifts worked and on your Financial Overview. Read more about Temper's Financial Overview, and how to do tax returns via the platform here.

Be on time with paying the assessment!

In most cases, you file the VAT return every quarter. The dates when you must submit the VAT return are fixed: this is at the latest on the last day of the month following the quarter for which you file the return. So, do you file a VAT return for the first quarter (January - March)? Then you must submit this no later than April 30. It is important that you do this on time. If you miss the deadline, you can expect a fine.

The VAT return in five steps

Step 1. This step is easy! Log in to the portal for entrepreneurs at the website of the Dutch tax authorities: Belastingdienst (you can do this with your DigiD). Important to know is that you can only file your VAT return in Dutch. However, at The TaxSavers, we can file your VAT return in English.

Step 2. Before submitting the VAT return, fill in yes to the question “Hebt u dit tijdvak iets aan te geven?”, which means “Do you have anything to declare during this period?”. Of course, you enter no here if you have not worked as a FreeFlexer during the period. You also have to fill in the name of your accountant. If you don't have one, just enter your own name.

Step 3. Now it is time to fill in your tax return! Fill in the turnover and VAT in section 1 (Binnenland - Domestic). You can leave the fields that are not applicable empty. Then you come to the section Buitenland (Abroad). If you have only worked via the Temper platform, you can also leave this blank and click directly on agree.

Step 4. Then you enter the input tax. You can only enter this if you have paid VAT to, for example, suppliers. If you have bought a laptop for work, you can state the VAT you have paid on this here. This VAT will be deducted from the VAT to be paid. Still some good news!

Step 5. The final check! Review whether you have filled in everything correctly and submit the VAT return. There is a good chance that you have to pay VAT. Go to your business profile and download the declaration. At the bottom, you will find the amount you have to pay before the specified deadline.

Can't figure it out, or is your VAT return a bit on the difficult side? At The TaxSavers, we can easily take care of this and give you full English support. Why make it difficult while we can make things easy for you! Only as a FreeFlexer, you get a 20% discount on our services. Please, contact us for more information.

Did this answer your question?