This article is presented to you by:

Did you recently move to the Netherlands? For example, because of education or maybe you always wanted to live here. For the year of your immigration to the Netherlands, you have to file a specific migration tax return, also called the M-form. The M-form is an extensive Dutch tax return, and it is only available in Dutch. That makes it even more difficult if you’re not familiar with the Dutch language.

At The TaxSavers, we understand that filing the M-form is not your top priority. We can file the M-form for you and provide you with full English support, so you will start to understand the Dutch tax system. Good news: we offer a 20% discount on our services for FreeFlexers. In this article, we’ll provide you with some information about the M-form.

What information do you need to file the M-form?

Because you immigrated to the Netherlands, the Dutch tax office needs specific information about you, and via the M-form, you can give that to them. The M-form is divided into two parts. The first part of the migration tax return is about the period you were a Dutch resident. The second part is about the period you were living as a non-resident in the Netherlands.

How do you file the M-form?

Since June 2021, you can file the M-form online via “Mijn Belastingdienst”, you need to log in using your DigiD or European approved login method (eIDAS). Usually, you have to file your income tax return between the 1st of March and 1st of May. However, for the M-form, it works a little bit differently. You will receive a letter from the Dutch tax office that states you have to file the M-form. In this letter, you can find your deadline.

What about the following years?

Only for the year that you did not live in the Netherlands for the whole year (e.g., because of migration), you have to file the M-form. For the following years, you can file the ordinary Dutch tax return (called the P-form).

Get help from a tax advisor!

Do you not know where to start with filing your M-form? No worries! We can help you with that. The TaxSavers is a Dutch tax advisor that is specialized in helping expats. Take a look at our website for more information. Get the 20% discount for FreeFlexers only. Contact us for more information.

Did this answer your question?