Skip to main content
All CollectionsWelcome to Temper!
🇬🇧 12 things you want to know when you start freeflexing
🇬🇧 12 things you want to know when you start freeflexing

Read the most frequently asked questions of users that haven’t worked yet

Paulina | Temper avatar
Written by Paulina | Temper
Updated over a week ago

1. What is freeflexing?

If you work via our platform, you are a FreeFlexer. When freeflexing, you work for yourself and you have the freedom to determine which jobs on our platform you respond to. Because you can work for various hospitality or retail companies, every day will be different.

2. What is the difference between Temper and an employment agency?

As a temporary worker at an employment agency, you have a contract and you are on the payroll of a company. Using our platform, you work as a self-employed professional and you don’t have a contract with anyone.

3. How can I start FreeFlexing?

You can start applying to shifts through the platform and work freelance jobs without needing immediate registration at the domestic tax authority (HMRC). You are only required to register as a sole trader and file tax returns if you earn more than £1,000 from self-employment work in one tax year.

4. How much experience do I need to work via Temper?

In general, you don't need to have previous work experience to start as a FreeFlexer at Temper.

If you have any relevant experience, make sure you add it to your profile. You can learn how to add it from this article. This way your profile will be even more attractive to your potential clients.

5. I’m on the payroll at my main job. Can I also work via Temper?

Yes, that’s definitely possible. You can work as a FreeFlexer next to being employed directly somewhere else. When filing your tax returns, these two gross incomes are added up together. Your total combined income then defines what band of tax rate applies to you for the tax year.

6. How do I get enough work?

As a FreeFlexer you are responsible for arranging work. Shifts are added on our platform every week, so it’s very likely you will always find something to suit your taste. Use the filters in the job overview to find a job that suits you. Do you meet all the requirements (the level of work experience and skills) and are you available? Then click on ‘Confirm and respond’. The client (for example, the restaurant or the store where you applied for) selects the FreeFlexer that fits the job best. If you’re chosen, you will receive a confirmation email.

7. How do I increase my chances of being selected?

Quite often, more than one FreeFlexers responds to a job. So it’s a good idea to respond tomultiple jobs at the same time. Another tip is to apply to last-minute jobs or jobs with only a few registrations. In this way, you increase your chances of getting the job you want. When the client is satisfied with your way of working, you may get invited to theirflexpool. From this position, you are considered as a preferred FreeFlexer over people that come for the first time, which increases your chances even more.

8. Are travel costs reimbursed?

Travel expenses will not be covered by the clients you work for. The hourly rate includes all travel and accommodation expenses. In exceptional cases, travel expenses are reimbursed. If so, it will be mentioned in the briefing.

9. When will I get paid?

With every job, you have the option to be paid within 3 to 5 business days for 2.9% of the invoice amount. If you want the full amount, you have to wait until the client pays. In most cases, this takes at least 30 days.

10. Am I insured?

Through our insurance partner Alicia Benefits you are insured for free for liability, accidents and even incapacity at work if you opt-in in advance. An extensive safety net to fall back on when things get tough. Read more about each insurance and how you can sign up for them in this article. Make sure to opt-in!

11. What if I can’t come to work?

Are you unable to work your shift and the cancellation period has now expired? Then you must arrange a substitute yourself. Fortunately, we made it very easy to find someone via our platform. Are you unable to arrange a substitute or come yourself? Then the client has the option to claim a £50 compensation fee.

12. What taxes do I have to pay as a FreeFlexer?

Sole traders must pay income tax and National Insurance Contributions once a year, or twice a year, depending on the previous year’s returns. Deadlines are January 31st and July 31st. So make sure you leave some of your earnings on the side in order to pay your taxes. You could risk being fined by the HMRC.

Did this answer your question?